What if you brought a new mattress with the thought of having a peaceful sleep but ended up with a sleepless night? Doctors’ recommend a quality sleep of 8 hours per night. So, in a way we spend 1/3rd of our life on the bed or mattress. So one can say that a mattress plays a very vital role in our life. It is recommended to change your mattress after every 8 to 10 years.
So, compromising on the choice of mattress is not a great idea. If your mattress is not comfortable and doesn’t support your back, then unknowingly you are inviting serious orthopedic problems. Mattress buying is a tough job and needs extreme caution. Here is the complete guide to help you find the best mattress:
Find the correct type of mattresses
First, decide what type of mattress you need. If you are suffering from some pain, consult your doctor before buying as he can give you a better idea that what type of mattress that will provide you relief. Mainly there are five types of mattress available in the market:
- Memory Foam mattress or Visco Elastic foam is best for pains, achy joint and restless sleepers. It makes your tossing and turning comfortable by reducing the pressure points.
- Hybrid Mattress is constructed using wire coils in the middle and memory foam or latex at top. This mattress is a great help for those who have muscle tension and morning arches.
- Latex mattress technology is not an advanced one in any case. It is like a regular mattress. This mattress behaves in a conventional way to your body curvature.
- Foam mattress uses basic technology and is available at a very less price.
- Innerspring mattresses are made using coils. This mattress can be firmer or softer depending on the gauge of the coils.
Points to keep in mind
- Before buying a mattress see that it gives you back support. Our body is not straight, it is full of curves. Your mattress should support your curves and doesn’t affect your backbone. According to the doctor, when you are sleeping, your mattress should keep your spine straight so that you don’t get up with a back pain.
- Before buying a mattress take a 15 minute trial. Don’t be ashamed as you are going to buy your comfort. Again a shop has many varieties from which you can choose your best-suited mattress. It is recommended to order online or over the phone only when you have tried the mattress somewhere before.
- The mattress must give you edge support because if you can’t have a peaceful sleep if you feel like rolling off the bed throughout the night. So, before buying a mattress always ensures that your new mattress gives you support from the edge.
- Buy a mattress protector along with your mattress which can protect your mattress from stains.
- Everyone’s bedtime may not be the same. So always buy a mattress which is motion separated. So that your sleep doesn’t get disturbed when your partner gets on or off the bed or takes a turn.
- It is always advisable to check the return policy before buying a mattress as you may find the mattress uncomfortable after a certain period. Ask about money back guarantee. Don’t trust anyone; check the return policy yourself by reading the documents.
- Negotiate with the dealer as it can save your money. Ask for discounts. Often they offer, sale, try to buy your mattress in that period.
Choose the size of the mattress that fits the bed or the place properly. Failing to do so, may result in lump formation in the mattress that results in back pains.